The human cost of innovation

Anybody who has to deal with me in the next couple of weeks will find I'm grumpy. That's because I have to make more than fifty of these paper sculptures for the next Green Thought in an Urban Shade exhibition. When I came up with the bright idea of presenting my stories as individual paper sculptures that people could unfold and read, I neglected to consider that me, myself and I would end up making the sculptures.

I am not a naturally deft person, I can't even plait my own hair, so folding fifty stories is a nightmare. And why, oh why, did I think it would be clever to make the Irish story in the shape of a tree, and the Paris story in the shape of a swan? I couldn't have picked more fiddly and demanding designs if I'd tried.

I should stick to writing, it's what I'm good at!