I am really a woman!



Yes, that's me. Spending five minutes communing with nature in Vita Sackville-West's garden at Sissinghurst. I've posted it because somebody thinks I'm a bloke!

An anonymous poster insists that (a) I'm a man masquerading as a woman and (b) my writing proves it.

Sorry mate, I am, and always have been, female. The fact that I can write like a man is a measure of my skill, not my testosterone levels!

But it raises a wider point about gender and writing. I fairly consciously change my writing style when I'm using a male protagonist's viewpoint. I know some writers who just can't do this because it feels utterly alien to them to write frome the position of a gender not their own. I think this is something each writer must work out (or work on) for themselves and decide if they wish to attempt cross-gender writing. If you do go for it, then you need to have confidence to pull it off - and when you get it right, it's a joy, even if people accuse you of being a fraud because of it!