Absence much lamented (by me!)

I’ve just got back from having a hot stone massage – it was truly relaxing (apart from the corrugated mark on my forehead where it was resting on a towel and which looks absurdly like somebody tried to strangle the top of my head with a very thick rope) and as the hotel was stuffed with short, square-suited Russian men accompanied by tall and sculpted, blonde Russian women … an interesting mix that has definitely led to the glimmerings of an erotic short story. Carmel often finds situations, characters or plots in hotels – it’s a natural concomitant of so many bedrooms: fertile territory for an erotic writer!

And yes, I am sorry I haven’t been here much – I have been writing but not blogging, and that’s just a fact. There are interesting things afoot, but I can’t say anything about them as yet.

In the wider literary sense, Writers At Large, as organised by New Writing South, was a fascinating event for me at least; I hope the writers who had advice sessions with me enjoyed themselves as much as I did. One of the more interesting points about such sessions is that many writers already know the answer to the ‘problem’ they pitch up with. What they lack is confidence in their own intuition or good sense or even in the good news they are being given about their own writing … it’s a situation that seems to plague many of us. Maybe we should have some kind of support group like those lovely feminist networks that no longer seem to exist but did when I was a teenager.

Did I say that the excellent Ether Books took some more stories for their incredible iPhone app? Well they did. Five, in fact.

And I’ve been spending much time in cafes with some extremely lovely writers: Lou, James, Laura, Jo and Kate. That’s a terrible thing to say when I’ve been neglecting my blog, I know, but I cannot tell a lie - I have been en-cafed and enjoying it.

Labels: , , , ,